Friday 17 September 2004

I like ninjas...

And the last of the triple war Hollywood movie-a-thon is "The Last Samurai" by Edward Zwick. This concerned an American war hero that is hired to help the current Japanese administration destroy the Samurai rebels [classic modernity versus tradition play] My least favourite of the three, this still had some good aspects to it. You know, I'm really easy to please when it comes to movies. I don't think I've ever just walked out of a movie without watching the whole thing. Except "Dune". I guess I have to rest up for that one. It needs preparation. But I'll usually watch pretty much anything because everything has something good in it. Even in the case of a incredible horrible film, there always the possibility to MST3K it. Anyway, the thing this movie had ws ninjas. I like ninjas. Samurai are close and so it might have been ok without the ninjas but with is icing on the cake. So watch this if you like ninjas.

3 comments:

andiepoo said...

You liked TLS least of all?! Okay, I'm not going to be pushy and pick fights now, but ack! You liked TLS least of all?! I was drooling (literally) when I watched it; and no, not because of Tom Cruise. The battle scenes, man. I've never been awed by a war scene since Das Boot or something. I thought Master was a bit erm, storyless and well, Cold Mt's a erm, love story. There. Sorry.

Matt said...

I guess it was really Tom that ruined it for me. Even if he was a good actor, he is such a recognizable face that it's impossible to suspend your disbelief and lose yourself in the movie. But you're right, those battle scenes were impressive. Give me a no-name actor anyday.

Master and Commander, in my opinion wasn't really meant to have a story. It seemed perfectly content just to illustrate the character of the captain, of leadership, and of friendship. And despite Cold Mountain's love story, it had the gore and trauma a war movie needs.

andiepoo said...

Well, here's to gore and trauma. :) I actually liked Ken Watanabe best of all in "The Last Samurai." Tom Cruise wasn't really his character... or it's probably just me; every time I see him on screen, it not "Oh, it's a retired army captain turned drunk." It's more like, "Oh, it's Tom Cruise playing a retired army captain turned drunk." :)