Monday 7 March 2005

I read gooder than you...

I subscribe to the PUBLIB listerv and occasionally there are messages from people complaining about the public checking out primarily "trash", such as movies, romances, CDs, comics, etc. I'm of two minds on this issue but I will say two things about this on the unexpected side (coming from a librarian). One: The classics of today could have been (and many times are) the trash of yesterday. Maybe people are just visionaries. *laugh* And two: Give these people a break. At least they're reading. And if they were all reading classics, what would the "enlightened" people (who must always avoid what the everyman does - of which group I am a member *laugh*) have left to read? They'd (We'd) convince themselves (ourselves) that trash is classic.

No comments: