Saturday 14 May 2005

Dentist to the gift horse...

I hate getting presents. Yeah, you heard me (read me?). I hate getting presents. Don't get me wrong, I like getting stuff: I like buying new things, I like finding things, I like winning things, I like the acquisition of material goods. But presents are much more than that.

People always say it's better to give than to receive, that the joys of making others happy far outweigh being made happy by others. No one really believes that. And nut just for the fact that it's kinda contradictory. People just aren't that saintly. People are greedy, selfish, self-serving, egotistical, materialistic, um... things. (And I mean that in the nicest way possible.) They prefer to get presents over giving them. Except me. Not that I'm a saint. Far from it. It's just the awareness that people do prefer getting over giving that makes me wary of receiving gifts from people. Even if they don't expect something in return (which many people do), the people "around us" do or they start thinking about it after the fact and everyone starts looking at you like, "Well? Where's my present, you cheap bastard?" (Again, in the nicest way...) At the very least, they are satisfying their urge to be socially accepted, fulfill expectations, continue traditions, or just clean out their closets, and often don't know about or care what they are giving away.

Anyone want to prove me wrong and get me a nice present, expecting nothing in return? *laugh*

No comments: