Friday 13 February 2009

Double the fun...

Since getting my laptop, I've discovered that I NEED two computers at all times. I've taken to using it in my office, on a table next my desktop. I do most of my work on my laptop, initially just to give myself an excuse to get used to the slightly different OS and apps, a different feeling keyboard, etc. but now it's mostly because that's where my "stuff" is. LOL But I'm always going back to my desktop for the odd thing: printing something off quickly (not easy on my laptop yet), getting a file off it that I haven't moved over yet, or to use some app I can't install elsewhere. When it's my shift on the reference desk, I bring it out there to continue whatever it is that I'm working on, seamlessly, and to be able to save where and how I want. I'm convinced (or convincing myself) that it's more productive this way (it really is but of course there's a whole heap of security blanket piled on there too).

Now I come home and occasionally my wife leaves our desktop defenseless and I sit down beside it and I play episodes of Battlestar Galactica or play some Daft Punk tracks that I've left on there... It's my extra-media processor, providing white noise (entertaining white noise) in the background of my blogging, searching, WoWing or random goofing off. I could have my laptop doing it but for some reason it's not as multi-tasky.

Maybe I'll have to get a second computer of my own...

Maybe I'll have to find a support group for this...

No comments: