Wednesday 29 April 2009

2checkout... Domai.nr

Have a few seconds at the computer and don't know what to do with them? Try out Domai.nr.

(Yes, that's the URL. Most web browsers will assume the "http://" and not all addresses have a 'www' at the front.)

This simple tool will take what you type in (single words seem to work best... phrases may get mangled) and suggest combinations of domain names, domain name types (although .com and .net are among the most common, there are literally hundreds), and first level directories to represent your entry as a web address.

I of course had to try my first and last names (not exciting) and, since I'm a librarian, I had to try that next. It suggested "librari.an"... I thought, woah, that's awesome... I'm gonna buy that domain. But Domai.nr links to a site that allows you to do just that, a site that tells you how much and what's required. Turns out that it would cost almost $300 USD a year to own it. AND you have to have a local contact in the islands of the Netherlands Antilles. AND you have to have a company located there. "Well, I don't have ALL those things..."

It was fun while it lasted. Tell me if you find any other interesting ones!

[ via Lifehacker's entry entitled "Top 10 Tools for Your Blog or Web Site" ]

No comments: