Tuesday 21 June 2005

Old times...

Just finished "Outlanders: Evil Abyss" by James Axler. Too late did I realize that this was a "classic" from the Gold Eagle Collection. If you've never heard of them, get out, save yourself now, don't even wait for my description. For those of you who are familiar with the "genre", you know of its monthly released, carbon copy, standardized plot, style of literature. You are also either captivated by its shoot-em-up, "godless terrorists/communists/assassins are going to kill us" storylines, or you are over the age of 14.

This sci-fi (barely) take on this group of fiction is only marginally more interesting than the present day setting. Don't get me wrong: it did hold my interest enough to not make me want to pull out the few follicles I have left, but I attribute that only to the fact that it's been over 10 years since I even laid eyes on one of these books. I am confident that should I find myself on a train with nothing other to read than more of the same, I will need only to read the blurb on the back and a few of the first pages to learn the names and the new location, allowing me with sufficient reliability to piece together any new storyline.

Prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong.

No comments: