Monday 17 October 2005

Morning, furniture, and stories...

Back to the grind this morning. It's good working here. I'm actually forced to learn more things every day. I always want to learn and learn and learn but sometimes I'm a little sleepy or stressed or distracted or lazy or something so sometimes I don't but working in a academic library (and better yet, a health sciences library) really makes me pay attention and grab all the information I can - I don't want to look stupid in front of all the cute college girls... or anyone for that matter - I'm very shallow, you know.

We spent the weekend arranging our fake and temporary furniture in our living room trying to figure out the best layout, and then going out to stores (here, here, and here) and looking at (not buying) things that we want to fill those spaces. I want one of those reclining wing back chairs. Those are cool. We saw some couches and chairs and things that we liked, but it was all expensive. We'll have to fill up the room a piece at a time or something.

I attended a presentation about Canada's health policy and plans in the future by the Honourable Ujjal Dosanjh, Canada's federal Minister of Health. Basically the focus is on wait times, which, living in the U.S. for a while, seems to be the outside world's only (or most frequently mentioned) criticism for our health care system. I don't know. I've not been in Canada for long enough to really see it (and before I was too young and too child-less to give it much thought). My daughter had to go to the hospital last weekend (running a fever and she's ok now) and the wait time in the emergency room was long but no longer than in the U.S. (around Newark, NJ). But I have heard the stories. Some of them anyway. Anybody out there have any they'd like to share?

2 comments:

The Humanity Critic said...

Just passing through, cool blog by the way.

Matt said...

Thanks... You too.