Thursday 8 January 2009

Open Education: A learning experience

So, in my virtual travels I recently came across a mention of a new course (offered at BYU but also online) called Introduction to Open Education 2009. Not only does the topic of Open Education interest me (well it did after this course introduced me to it) but I'm always looking for a way to learn more about whatever. (For those of you who don't know what Open Education is, it's basically concerned with the effort to make the content and process of education free and available to a wider audience, if not everyone. Stay tuned for a more in-depth discussion in later entries.)

So, in this course, not only do I get to learn about Open Education and do it online AND for free -- Woah!!! -- but it's set up as a multiplayer online role playing game (MORPG) as well, which, as an avid (and tired) World of Warcraft player, appeals to me on an entertainment level, and, as an academic librarian, appeals to me on an education and information curiosity level.

Look forward to a stream of posts that will be the coursework and results of this experiment... or better yet, click on the class link above and add your name to the list of participants! It's not too late!

No comments: