Wednesday 4 March 2009

Sick of being sick...

So I've been ill the past couple days... Made it back to work today but it's always difficult for me: both taking sick days and coming back. Not because I'm not sure whether I'm sick or that after being sick I don't want to go back to work. I like my job. I like going to work. (I don't know any librarian that doesn't, of course.) But when I start feeling under the weather, I'm never sure of the exact moment when I'm too ill to work. I could probably work through almost anything, and, I hate to admit it, I have. On this end of the problem, I have slowly come to the realization that I'm more valuable at home than at work if I'm at all contagious... duh.

On the other side, nearing the end of the period of unwellness, I'm again regularly unsure when it's appropriate to come back to work. I'm caught between wanting to get back to work for both work's sake (don't want to seem like I'm goofing off) and my own sake (again, I like getting things done at work), and not wanting to get back to work too soon again for work's sake (for fear of still being contagious and infecting those at work) and my own (not wanting to push myself too far and keep myself sick longer).

I almost wish there were nice simple guidelines. Basic rules to tell me when I'm sick and what I should do about it. Any suggestions or guidelines any of you use?

No comments: